This is a fascimile of the application. Certain information has been
deleted to protect the privacy of others.
ILLINOIS REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
Please prepare this form according to the Guidelines, Rules and Regulations,
and Instructions. This form and all materials submitted relative to it become
property of the Department.
- NAME: Historic "Jake" Strang House
- LOCATION: 18750 Millburn, Village of Millburn, Wadsworth, Illinois, 60083
Legislative District 32, Lake County
- OWNER(S) OF PROPERTY: ((((see file in museum))))
- CLASSIFICATION: Architectural, Historic
- GEOGRAPHICAL DATA: Acreage of Nominated Property, 7 acres, original site
- VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: ((((see file in museum))))
a. Statement -- The "Jake" Strang house at Millburn (ca. 1856-57) is an unusual
combination of several styles, including Federal and Italianate as well as Greek
Revival and reflects the succession of styles which swept Illinois in
mid-nineteenth century. The house was the second generation of housing in this
area and was constructed of local materials with the expertise of local
workmen and the affluence of the owner. The integrity of the fabric on both
the interior and exterior is largely complete and reliably attributable as
original. The floorplan appears except for minor changes to be the same as when
- BRIEFLY DESCRIBE THE PHYSICAL EVOLUTION OF THE PLACE:
Returning from a successful venture in California gold mining, "Jake" Strang
purchased 42 acres of land in 1853 and built his home in 1856-57 next to Mill Creek.
The home was started in the fall of 1856 with a single story section 23'4" x 30'8"
completed before cold weather set in. This portion of the house contained kitchen,
bedroom, pantry and small sitting room. The following year, 1857 the two story
structure 22'8" x 30'8" was completed which contained front entry hall with
open stairway to second floor, formal parlor, sitting room, bedroom on the
first floor and three bedrooms with ample closets on the second floor.
The house is an unusual combination of several styles, including Federal
and Italianate as well as Greek Revival. The structure has double wall locally made
red bricks with trim of cream color bricks (purchased at $4.50 per thousand, receipt
available) construction with field stone boulders as foundation and basement. The
heavy trim inside and outside is hand lathed. The sweeping bannister to the
second floor is walnut. An interesting feature of the parlor is the decorative
wood trim installed to suggest a fireplace, but used as a backdrop for a wood
burning stove. When the house was remodeled (1938-39) the chimney opening was
plastered shut. The windows are double hung, 4 over 4, or 6 over 6 with mostly
At "Jake" Strang's death in 1895 the house passed to his daughter who lived
there for a few years. Then it was rented until purchased by the present owner in 1920.
The house has changed very little over the years.
- The original flat roof was found unsatisfactory and replaced a few
years after construction with a gable roof. The flat roof still exists under the
present roof and the original drain tile is visible.
- French doors were removed between the parlor and kitchen and placed at the
dining room outside entrance, which replaced an entrance that duplicated the
- In the 1890's a wooden two-story addition was constructed on the
back of the house which was removed in 1938. The plaster covering on the
bricks (a little larger than a doorway) still remains but can be removed without
- Enlarged and enclosed back entrance into a sunroom.
- Window installed in south kitchen wall.
- Enclosed a basement entrance.
The above changes were made in the years 1938-39 to the first floor; no changes
except the addition of electricity have been made to the second floor.
- From the parlor, a doorway was cut through to sitting room next to fireplace wall.
- A door from the back entrance hallway was cut into the sitting room.
- In present dining room, the small wall, which included French doors near
bay window, was partially removed.
- The doorway into small bedroom was closed and brick fireplace added.
- The wall between kitchen and the pantry was removed and a new kitchen installed
thus giving the owners a formal dining room in the area that had been the kitchen
and parlor. Enlarged area of back entrance way to make enclosed sunroom, bathroom and
closet with wash basin.
- Added a doorway from kitchen to sunroom.
- LIST THE PLACE'S "CRITICAL HISTORIC FEATURES":
The "Jake" Strang House at Millburn has as its Critical Historic Features all
features from the Critical Historic Period (1856-57) including but not limited to:
A. The existing groundplan for the home as defined by its exterior stone foundation.
B. All exterior and interior hand lathed trim, wooden window sills, hand hewn timbers,
double wall red brick construction with cream colored brick trim, door knobs and hinges,
original glass in most windows, fieldstone foundation, sweeping walnut stairway.
- SOURCE OF DOCUMENTATION/BIBLIOGRAPHICAL REFERENCES:
- Anderson, Beatrice. Comments and pictures gathered over the years by the
octogenarian owner who visited relatives in Millburn as a young child and
began a friendship with the second owner. Interviews over the past four years.
- Bill of Sale. Bricks. Lake Villa Brick Yard. November 1856
- Chicago Sun Times (Chicago, IL.) Kay Rutherford. August 9, 1978
- Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL.) Genevieve Flavin. October 28, 1956
- The Decatur Daily Review (Decatur, IL) August 10, 1978
- The Herald (Chicago, IL.) Helen Bryant. August 30, 1978
- Historic Millburn Community Association. Millburn files. Millburn, IL
- Journal Star (Peoria, IL) August 10, 1978
- Lake County Recorder of Deeds. Lake County Court House, Waukegan, IL.
Documents #1841 Land Entries Cert. #9278, 1854 B. "U" p.368,
Doc. 466443, Aug 31, 1939.
- Lakeland Publishers (Grayslake, IL.) November 9, 1979
- Landmarks Preservation Council News (Chicago, IL.) Landmarks Preservation
Vol. 7 No. 5, July August 1978
- National Register of Historic Landmarks. Division of Historic
Sites Illinois Department of Conservation. (Springfield, IL.) Robert Wagner.
September 17, 1978
- Waukegan News-Sun (Waukegan, IL.) August, 1940, May 31, 1978, August 10, 1978
- FORM PREPARED BY: Dorothy A. Fettinger, Chairman of Historic Millburn
Community Association, October 13, 1980