|HOME » projects and goals » historic registers; national and Illinois » historic building index » Martin's Gen'L Store museum »|
Photo Archives for Martin's Gen'L Store
|1956||b/w||28||from E. Foster's History|
|1905||b/w||84||interior view and Mr. Pantall [TIFF available]|
This is our museum building.
the following comments are copied from the application for the National
Richard Pantall was a cobbler by trade but in 1862 went into general merchandising at this location. From 1864-1904, the store was also the Millburn Post Office, Pantall serving as postmaster. Most of the additions to the building -- all of them at the rear of the 1862 structure -- were made by Pantall himself.
Pantall operated his general store until 1910, at which time Edward Martin, who had been his associate since 1887, assumed the business and conducted it until 1910. Something of a community social center from its inception, the Pantall-Martin Store was also the longest-lived and last operating general store in Lake County. The building presently houses an antique shop.
This is our museum building. Ed Martin retired from storekeeping in 1958. The building was rented to a number of merchants over the next several years until 1985, when Ed's son Richard passed away. Richard left the building to the HMCA to be used as a museum.
A new wood shingle roof was installed in the fall of 1996.
The exterior was painted during the summer of 1997.