|HOME » projects and goals » historic registers; national and Illinois » historic building index »Jake Strang house»|
Photo Archives for Jake Strang House
|1979||b/w||49||for Historic Register|
|1956||b/w||41||from E. Foster's History|
|1880||b/w||89||with fence and trees|
Please respect the privacy of the homeowner living in this historic building.
Read more about John "Jake" Strang.
the following comments are copied from the application for the Illinois Register
Returning from a successful venture in California gold mining, "Jake" Strang purchased 42 acres of land in 1853 and built his home in 1856-57 next to Mill Creek. The home was started in the fall of 1856 with a single story section 23'4" x 30'8" completed before cold weather set in. This portion of the house contained kitchen, bedroom, pantry and small sitting room. The following year, 1857 the two story structure 22'8" x 30'8" was completed which contained front entry hall with open stairway to second floor, formal parlor, sitting room, bedroom on the first floor and three bedrooms with ample closets on the second floor.
The house is an unusual combination of several styles, including Federal and Italianate as well as Greek Revival. The structure has double wall locally made red bricks with trim of cream color bricks (purchased at $4.50 per thousand, receipt available) construction with field stone boulders as foundation and basement. The heavy trim inside and outside is hand lathed. The sweeping bannister to the second floor is walnut. An interesting feature of the parlor is the decorative wood trim installed to suggest a fireplace, but used as a backdrop for a wood burning stove. When the house was remodeled (1938-39) the chimney opening was plastered shut. The windows are double hung, 4 over 4, or 6 over 6 with mostly original glass.
At "Jake" Strang's death in 1895 the house passed to his daughter who lived there for a few years. Then it was rented until purchased by the present owner in 1920. The house has changed very little over the years.