|HOME » online historical archives » Millburn Church »|
Certainly the most respected and influential citizen during the early years was Rev. William Bradford Dodge. A public spirited pastor, Rev. Dodge was the guiding force behind the community's involvement in the Underground Railroad and the establishment of the Millburn Mutual Insurance Company.
Look at photos of the church.
Read inciteful newspaper coverage about the design of the new church building in August, 1865.
Read newspaper coverage about the dedication of the new church building in January, 1867.
Church sponsored activities included the Ladies Sewing Circle, Ladies Aid, Christian Endeavor, and others.
Look through the souvenir booklet prepared for the Church's Sixtieth Anniversary in 1902.
We have a church history and list of members that were published in a church manual in 1907.
We have a list of the ministers who have served Millburn Church.
We have transcribed Rev. Safford's cash book from 1905.
The church burned on January 12, 1935.
The oldest part of the current church building was dedicated on June 6, 1937. The architect was Arthur R. Rhenisch, of Oak Park, Illinois. Builders were Arthur Rich of Grayslake, Illinois, and Charles H. Cashmore of Wadsworth, Illinois. The minister at the time was Samuel Holden.
The church bell and tower were added in November, 1978 (coverage).
Millburn Congregational Church maintains their own website at www.millburnchurch.org.