|HOME » online historical archives » Beatrice Anderson's Scrapbooks » Beatrice Anderson's History of families »|
|[A thru F] [G thru L] [T thru Z]|
Mrs. Mason (Isabella) joined the Sewing Circle of the church 1846. She died in 1847.
The Masons were relatives of the "Scotch" Smith family who settled just north of Millburn.
The Masons and the Smiths left Millburn to gain fame in the financial world in New York.
In May 1, 1935, an item appeared in a local paper -"George Grant Mason, 80 of Millburn died at his home (Park Avenue) New York City. Mason left Millburn to gain farm in the financial world. He inherited 2/3 of the estate of an uncle, James Henry Smith, railroad financier."
Older members of the Mason and Smith families are buried in Millburn Cemetery.
About 1816, his parents, a brother, a sister, and he came to Chatham, Canada. There he met and married Jane Strang, October 2 1838. Jane was a daughter of John and Margaret Strang and had come to Chatham from Scotland in 1834.
In 1842, John, Jane, and his mother came to Lake County, Illinois (Millburn) by team and wagon. All they had was $25.00 in cash and the team and wagon. They purchased 160 acres of land from the government for $1.25 per acre in Newport Township (Kelly Road west of Hunt Club Road north side of the road). They spent $22.00 of the $25.00 for a cow. Here they established their home, working very hard to have a productive and well stocked farm. They had no family of their own, but often had young men living with them who helped with the farm work.
After McAlister had accumulated a little money he became known as the "money lender". He charged a high rate of interest, 10%, andforeclosed on property when the loan was not paid. Rumors had it he had "pots of gold" hidden on his property. When someone came for a loan he would take a few steps this way and a few steps that way and dig. There would be a "pot of gold".
The McAlisters moved to Waukegan in 1882.
He died in 1888 and is buried in Millburn Cemetery.
Like most of the Scottish farmers they had a flock of sheep. Jane sheared the sheep, washed the wool, carded it, spun it into yarn and knitted it into socks, sweaters, and other garments. She did the work of a man in the fields for over forty year.
The McAlisters moved to Waukegan in 1882. Their first home was on Madison Street, later moving to Clayton Street.
Jane became a faithful member of the Presbyterian Church. The Reverend Samuel Chidester was the pastor and lived with his friend, a teacher, John Baggott in the manse given to the church by Jane. She also gave a generous donation for the church's first pipe organ.
But there was other work for her to do in Waukegan where she was to play a role in the city's history. She was instrumental in getting a hospital for the town. There had been a six bed hospital on North Avenue, but that was not adequate. About 1896 the property on Franklin Street and North Avenue was acquired, mostly through the generosity of Jane, and there was established in a three story brick building " The Jane McAlister Hospital".
This hospital was in use until the Victory Memorial Hospital was built in the early 1920's. One wing of the new hospital was called Jane McAlister Hall, and her portrait hangs in the lobby.
Jane died in Waukegan in 1903. She left an estate of $2,000.00 in real estate and $200,000.00 personal property.
She is buried in Millburn Cemetery. The Reverend Chidester and Mr. Baggott are buried on the McAlister lot in Millburn Cemetery.
The Smiths had two sons James and John and three daughters.
In a few years the family left Millburn and became very successful financially. The son James became known as "the silent man of Wall Street".
The Smith and Mason families made large contributions to Millburn Cemetery. They gave money to build the Cemetery fence. the landscaping, and the sprinkling system.
Several members of the Smith and Mason families are buried in Millburn Cemetery.
Their Children were:
They had an adopted daughter, Jessie. In 1902 she married the Rev. George Mitchell, pastor of the Millburn Church. Shortly after that they left the community.
He built a home north of cross roads in Millburn (south of William White's east side of route 45).
He was a well driller and a carpenter, and cropped ten acres where Mill creek Hunt Club stables are.
In his younger days he made violins and played at country dances.
He married twice and was the father of twelve children (four died in infancy).
A grandson, Donald Truax and his wife Louise live in Millburn. Their home is on Millburn Road.
Peter Strang, Jr. died at his home February 23, 1929.
|[A thru F] [G thru L] [T thru Z]|