- This is a portion of the material from Beatrice Anderson's Scrapbooks.
- See the top page for attribution information.
History of Millburn
by Beatrice Anderson (around 1975)
People: G thru L
Names of some of the pioneer families who settled in the area up to about 1850.
Hearing of the rich lands of the new country from relatives already settled here, several other Scottish
families came to this locality and made their homes.
(Elizabeth Shadrich N.(English) home 1 1/2 miles east of Milburn, across from what is now known as the
Nathaniel and Elizabeth from Massachusetts.
Home a mud house east of Millburn Cemetery.
(son-in-law of W. B. Dodge). Left area before 1850. Wife died, left a son William B. Dodge.
William B. Dodge Gray.
Abraham (1782) and his wife Hannah (1786) were born in Scotland. They came to Millburn in the
1840's. Their son, Samuel (1823) married Susan Strang (1825), youngest daughter of John and Margaret
Samuel and Susan took up farming on the first place east of the Millburn Cemetery, south side of the
road. They made their home in the barn until the house was built.
Susan died in 1869, and about 1874 Samuel and his son, John, went to live in Waukegan. He died in
1884. He, his wife, and his parents are buried in Millburn Cemetery.
Jeremiah and Rebecca (from Massachusetts) Orignally from Ireland. Home was a log cabin east of
Millburn west of the creek, north side of the road. Had a school in the home before school houses were
Matilda (English) Mrs. Hearne was a teacher.
Gregory and Mary (Germany) Farm 2 miles east of Millburn
Farm 2 1/2 miles east of Millburn.
Thomas and Chloe (England) Farm 1/4 mile south of Millburn, east side of Hwy 45 (known later as the
John was born in England, 1804. He married Elizabeth Griggs, January 24, 1830. They came to America
in 1840 and settled in Chicago. The following year 1841, theycame to Millburn and settled on a farm
about one mile south of the village. He bought land for $1.25 per acre. Their first home was a mud
house. He was a stone mason by trade as well as a farmer.
When school districts were formed, about 1848, he gave a piece of ground for a school from his farm.
It was located east of Millburn (on Millburn Road, east of Crawford, south side of the road, east of
Millburn Cemetery). The school erected there was called the Hockaday School. It was in use until 1920
when the district was consolidated with the Dodge district and a part of Grubb district to become the
Millburn Consolidated District #24.
David was born in Wales, 1816. Came to America 1839 (Pennsylvania), married Margaret 1841, came to
Lake County, Illinois 1843.
They purchased a farm in Section 22, Township 46 N, R 10 E. (north west of Millburn).
They were members of the Christian Church. Mr. Hughes served as a deacon in the church at
Their youngest daughter, Mary, was born October 19, 1847. She grew up on the family farm and
later became a teacher in district schools.
She married William J. White, December 7, 1876. They made their home on a farm just north of
Millburn. Mr. White operated the farm and was also the local undertaker. Mrs. White assisted her
husband in the business and later she became the first woman licensed as a funeral director in Lake
Mr. David Hughes died in 1865, and his widow moved to a home in Millburn, built by her husband
previously, just east of the John Hughes' home.
John H. (Wales). Born July 30,1829. in Wales, July 30, 1829. He came to America with his family in
1841. They settled in Ehinsburg, Pennsylvania. There he learned the carpenter trade. He made two trips
to Antioch to visit relatives and friends, 1853 and 1855. In 1857 he returned to this area and decided to
make his home here. In 1859 he married Annie Stewart, daughter of Peter and Elizabeth Stewart (from
Scotland, 1841). Mrs. Hughes was a very fine seamstress and did much of her work sitting in the north
bay window. In later years it was known as the Messner house.
In 1889 the Hughes moved to Lake Villa. There Mr. Hughes turned his attention to the undertaking
business and cabinet making.
In 1895 Mr. Hughes located a branch undertaking establishment in Antioch which his son, Leola,
ran for many years.
Mr. Hughes died in Lake Villa January 19, 1912 and his wife died in Lake Villa December 18, 1920.
George. Came to the Millburn area from Aberdeenshire, Scotland in the early 1860's. He was a cousin of
James Jamieson and Alexander Sutherland. The George Jamieson home was located south of Millburn,
about one and one half miles, southeast of where Nelson's Greenhouse now is. The dwelling was a mud
house which was still standing in 1920.
He and his wife had four daughters and a son; Lavinia (1867), Barbara (1869), Alice (1871), Edwin
(1874), and Jessie Margaret (1875). Shortly after the birth of Jessie Margaret the mother died. Since Mr.
and Mrs. John "Jake" Strang had no family they adopted the baby and she became Jessie Margaret Strang.
When Mr. Jamieson brought the baby to the Strang home, Mrs. Strang said he turned away and wept. She
said it was the first time she ever saw a man shed tears.
Jessie was raised in the lovely Strang home and grew up to be a very popular young lady in Millburn.
In the meantime Mr. Jamieson married Frances Dodge, a grand daughter of Father Dodge.
When the Strangs passed away in the late 1890's Jessie became the heir of their property. About the
turn of the century Jessie had a home built on the west end of the farm at the eastern edge of Millburn, for
her own father (George Jamieson) and his wife, affectionately know to all as "Aunt Fanny". The
Jamiesons lived there for several years and both were active in church work.
George Jamieson died in 1917, at the age of 80 years.
Frances Dodge Jamieson died in 1924 at the age of 76 years.
Both were buried in Millburn Cemetery.
James was born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, October 12 1837. Came to Millburn area 1859. The farm
home was later known as the Crawford Road farm on Crawford Road. He served as Lake County
treasurer. Left the farm and came to live in Millburn. Home was south of John Hughes and was built
about 1868. He built a little shop on the lot, near the sidewalk.
His son, George (Mugzy) a carpenter and wood worker, later acquired a larger shop a short distance
south just beyond the little creek where he did repair work until his death.
James and Margaret (Scotland) settled north of Millburn near the state line.
(Massachusetts). William and Mary, orginally from England.
James and Isabelle (Scotland) Farm later (known as Stephens Farm) north on what is known as Crawford
Road. Farm was called "Frosty Brae". Went to Waukegan before 1870. Built a brick home south side of
Grand Avenue. Present Low Avenue was a part of Low's acreage at that time.