HOME » online historical archives » news clipping month index » loose clippings(5) »

[month index] [previous] [next]

Loose Newspaper Clippings

loose clipping undated
[transcribed from Mathews Paste Book - page 155]
[probably 1935]
Dr. Homer E. Jamison Dead After 40 Years Practice
Dr. Homer Eugene Jamison, 77 years old, and for 42 years a practicing physician in the Millburn vicinity, one of the longest records in the county, died at 5 p. m at the family home in Millburn.
Ill health forced Dr. Jamison to abandon active practice about two years ago, although he attended such cases as his health permitted.
Dr. Jamison was the eldest son of John and Matilda Jamison and was born August 6, 1858, at Brighton, Kenosha county, Wis. At the age of 9 he came with his parents to Libertyville, Ill., where he grew to manhood, receiving his early education in the rural schools and at Lake Forest in college. He spent all of his active years in the profession in this county except the first which was spent in Chicago. Then followed a year at Antioch after which he set up his practice at Millburn which he maintained until the time of his death.
After his graduation in 1893, he was married to Miss Mattie Davis of Diamond Lake, who survives him.
Organized Phone System
He was one of the organizers of a private telephone system in the Millburn vicinity years ago. This line is still in operation, the exchange switchboard being located in Dr. Jamison's home in Millburn.
Survivors besides Mrs. Jamison are two daughters, Mrs. George White of Antioch and Miss Doris Jamison, who resides at the Millburn family home; a brother, George of Cherry Valley, Ill.; and a sister, Mrs. Will Seazey, of Granada, Colorado.
Funeral services were held from the home Tuesday afternoon with the Rev. Samuel Holden officiating; also the Masonic service was given by William Gribbs, past master of Waukegan Lodge, No. 78. Burial was in Millburn cemetery.
loose clipping undated
[transcribed from Mathews Paste Book - page 99]
[probably 1898]
D. P. Millen Called to the Eternal Rest.
Culminating an illness of two long years, relieved from the suffering of creeping paralysis, D. P. Millen, and old and respected resident of the city, passed away Thursday. The end came peacefully, his feeble body too weak to withstand the recent relapse in his condition, which occurred early Thursday morning. Having retired from active life two years ago on account of failing health, Mr. Millen has lived a very quiet existence, at peace with all his friends and neighbors, respected by all who knew him.
Coming to Little Fort in the forties, Mr. Millen was one of the earliest settlers of the community, and since 1849 he has been a resident of Waukegan, and until the declining years of his busy life, was the leading shoe dealer of the town.
In 1850 he established a shoe store on Washington street near where Hunter's cigar store now stands, and there conducted a flourishing business for several years, at one time having been in partnership with Warren H. Ellis and Samuel Morrison, the former still a resident here, and the latter deceased.
Mr. Millen was prosperous and his patronage soon made larger quarters necessary, when he moved into the store now occupied by Schneider's bakery. There he remained for twelve years, the leading shoe dealer. Afterwards his stock of goods was moved into the building now occupied by H. Herman's grocery store, and there remained until its owner sold out the business and led the quiet life of a shoemaker in his little shop which was conducted for five years in the basement of the old academy building. This was given up about two years ago and he journed to California where the winter of 1896 was enjoyed, greatly to the improvement of his health. Since his return to Waukegan, however, he has gradually declined. Five weeks ago the dread creeping paralysis set in upon his body until at the hour of death his whole right side was completely paralyzed. He died at 7:45 last evening. He was seventy-eight years old.
Daniel Porter Millen was born in Janesville, N. Y., Onondaga Co., August 28, 1820. The oldest of a family of twelve children, three boys and nine girls. Mr. Millen set out for himself when eighteen years of age, coming to Chicago in 1838. There he engaged in the shoe business, and was for many years a clerk in the wholesale shoe house of Whitlock & Co., where he became foreman. It was there that he laid the foundation of his busy life, and having thoroughly mastered the trade he came to Little Fort in 1849, and established himself in business as above mentioned.
In 1843 he was married in Chicago to Miss K. F. Pantall who still lives to mourn his loss. To them were born four children, all living. Albert P. who resides in this city; Frank F., of Beloit; Mrs. Mary E. Clybourn, of Chicago; Mrs. Fannie Anderson, Cavena, California. All but Mrs. Anderson will attend the funeral.
On coming to this city the family resided for a short time on the south side but removed to property at 113 First street, where they have since resided. Of his brothers and sisters four are now living. H. J. Millen and Mrs. Alexander Scott reside at Highland Park.
In the Masonic fraternity of the city Mr. Millen was a prominent man. His Masonic career was begun in this city and he was one of its early members. A charter member of the Consistory lodge from this city, and a Knight Templar, his life as a lodge member has been a valuable one. He was also a member of the early lodge of Odd Fellows which broke up years ago. No man in Waukegan had a wider circle of friends than D. P. Millen, and his early life was one of business activity, devoted to the interests of his town, his neighbors and his family. In his declining days he has been a cheerful companion and associate spending his last precious days here below in the retirement appropriate to his length of active service.
The funeral was held from the home Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock under the auspices of the Masonic Blue Lodge.
loose clipping undated
[transcribed from Mathews Paste Book - page 189]
An Old Resident of Lake County Gone.
The sudden death of Mrs. Patrick Grady which Monday afternoon, shocked the community, brought to close a life well spent, one devoted to her home and family and which although it had not been prominent in social affairs was conspicuous for its benevolence and kindness.
When Mrs. Grady arose yesterday morning she apparently was as well as she had been for some time past. Since her home, just west of the city, burned down some five years ago, she had never been quite the same. During Sunday night she had suffered a slight attack of indigestion but it was thought there would be no ill effects. At dinner Monday she ate heartily and conversed freely with the family but shortly afterwards she was suddenly seized with a pain in her heart and within about a half hour she died.
Mrs. Marian Grady was born in Ireland in 1833. With her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Garrett Hayes, she came to America when about fifteen years of age. They located in Canada remaining there but a year, after which, in 1849, they removed to Lake County, purchasing the place now known as the Upton farm where for many years the family resided.
In 1856 she was married to Patrick Grady, who with a family of eleven children now survives. Since their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Grady lived in Lake County, their home being for the greater part of the time near Millburn. After the loss of their home they moved to this city and have since resided here, their residence being on West street.
The children all reside in this vicinity with the exception of Patrick who is at present in Montana. The children; Mrs. Joseph Durkin, Daniel A., Garret, Thomas, Margaret, John, Patrick, Katherine, Teressa, Cora and Charlotte.
The deceased was an estimable lady, regarded in the highest manner by all who knew her. Her loss will be great to her family as also to a large circle of friends. The deepest sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved.
The funeral will be held Thursday morning at ten o'clock from St. Marys church. Interment in the Catholic cemetery.
loose clipping undated
[transcribed from Mathews Paste Book - page 94]
Was a very old Settler in Lake Co.
Walter Crapo, son of John Crapo, came with his father to Chicago, Illinois, in 1833 from Balston, N. Y. They camped the fall and winter of 1834 some where north of where Libertyville now stands. His father took up a farm in Lake County some time in 1835 and Walter has made it his home ever since. They come from a very old American family. The Crapos were among the Hugenots exiled from France in 1685. Among the 400,000 exiled the larger portion settled in England, some came to America. Two brothers, Crapo by name came to America and settled on Long Island, N. Y. From there came all the Crapos in America.
The Moreys, on his mother's side, intermarried with The Traves and Youngs and Madisons, direct descendants of the Puritans who landed on Plymoth Rock. His great grandfather Morey was with Benedict Arnold in his campaign against Quebec and came near starving in the Maine forests on their return from that historical and memorable campaign. He afterwards participated at the surrender of Burgoyne. His grandfather Morey was a drummer boy. His uncle Jesse Morey, had the sword and horse pistol, with flint locks, that his grandfather carried in the Revolution.
Later, in the War of the Rebellion, Walter, Joseph and William Crapo served their country faithfully in order that this glorious country might forever survive and prosper and that future generations might enjoy the blessings of liberty, prosperity, and happiness that none but a powerful free nation can enjoy. Joseph fell a victim to rebel bullets, William came thrice wounded, and Walter came out with one hand crippled, a back and shoulder in a bad state, and one ear totally deaf, caused by the explosion of a shell. From this shell he has always said he thought a piece had been driven into his head through his ear, and of which he has always complained of making his head feel so queer, and of late years this has been worse and worse until at times he said he could hardly stand it. A whirling sensation would come over him so bad at times that he would not know where he was or what he was doing, and this was probably the cause of his untimely end.
loose clipping undated
[transcribed from Mathews Paste Book - page 74]
Young Lady Well Known Here Married in Evanston.
Miss Lucy B. Mason and Frederick P. Vose of Evanston were married Tuesday night at 8 o'clock in the First Congregational church of Evanston. Dr. J. F. Loba, pastor of the church, performed the ceremony. Mrs. George Mason, of Milwaukee, sister of the bride acted as matron of honor. The bridesmaids were Miss Belle Tuckey of New Jersey, Miss Agnes Smith of Chicago and Miss Blanche Downs and Miss May Vose of Evanston. The ushers were Palmer Goble of Chicago and Lewis Downs, George Kelley and Jesse Van Dooser of Evanston.
The bride wore a gown of meteor crape trimmed with point lace and veil and carried a show bouquet of American beauties. Walter Vose, a brother of the groom acted as best man. After the ceremony a reception was given at the home of the bride's grandmother Mrs. Beatrice Smith, 1021 Lee street. Mr. and Mrs. Vose left for a trip through the south. They will be at 102 Lee street, Evanston, on the afternoons of March 6 and 7.
Mrs. Voss is well known throughout the county having been reared near Millburn. She was also well acquainted in Waukegan having frequently visited her aunt Mrs. V. A. Rossbach.
loose clipping undated
[transcribed from Mathews Paste Book - page 183]
[possibly from 1898]
It was our great pleasure to read a letter last week from Mrs. Barry, our old friend and neighbor for many years. It will be a matter of interest to the older readers of the GAZETTE far and wide, to hear a word form Mrs. Wm. L. Barry now of Portland, Oregon. The Barrys were among the earlier settlers of this county, with the Abbotts and Paynes. Twenty five years ago Mr. and Mrs. Barry with their family lived in their pleasant home now owned by Wm. McCreadie and his sisters. Mrs. Barry being a fine singer sang in the choir, and her oldest daughters Otta and Rubie succeeded each other as organists in this church. Mr. Barry was one of the most genial of men. He was a welcome guest in every house. Many of the old, worthy and influential families have not a representative of the name left, none of the Stedmans or Buffhams or Barrys or Hastings or Adams or Hockadays to keep the name in remembrance here, oblivion is the common fate of all. Mrs. Barry expresses herself well pleased with the climate and people of Portland, Oregon, says she has good health, but Oh! her heart goes back to the dear old home and friends at Millburn. Mrs. Barry lives with her daughter Abbie and husband. She speaks of Otta's girls as being advanced scholars, nearly ready for the high school.
[month index] [previous] [next]