Newspaper Clippings for
12 March 1985
Millburn historian remembered
Beatrice Anderson, 87, owner of the Jake Strang House in
Millburn, a home listed on the Illinois Register of Historic
Places, died in McHenry Hospital recently. Anderson, who lived
in Millburn since 1921, was one of her area's historians, a
former grade school teacher and an active member in the Millburn
Congregational United Church of Christ.
The home in which she and her husband Carl lived was built in
1856 and 1857 by John Strang Jr., or "Jake" as he was always
called, from money he made in the California gold rush. He was
born in Scotland in 1828 and in 1852 moved to Newport Township,
where he bought 42 acres. In 1853, he married and settled in a
log cabin and grew corn, oats and hay and maintained a dairy
In 1856, Strang began plans to build a substantial brick home.
By the fall of 1856, a house containing a kitchen, bedroom,
pantry and sitting was built. The next year, the main section of
the house was constructed of brick, made in Lake Villa, and it
still has its original windows, door knobs, hinges, floors and
hand-hewn timber and walnut staircase.
The house is one of two homes in Lake County listed on the
Illinois Register and one of 16 statewide. In addition, Millburn
is listed in the National Register of Historic Sites, partly due
to Anderson's efforts.
"She thought it was about time some of the houses that people
tried to preserve should be recognized. The whole community is
recognized as a result of her house being put on the register,"
said one person close to Anderson.
The friend told of Anderson's love of flowers and her devotion to
the church. She was its clerk for 31 years and kept the history
of the church and Millburn up to date with voluminous scrapbooks.
One area she researched was Millburn's and the church's
involvement in the underground railroad smuggling slaves to
freedom. She was also a charter member of the Historic Millburn