HOME » online historical archives » news clipping month index » September, 1938 »

[month index] [previous] [next]

Newspaper Clippings for
September, 1938

from a loose clipping, source unknown 6 September 1938
James H. Bonner
James H. Bonner, 88, eldest son of James and Margaret Anderson Bonner, was born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, on January 29, 1850, and passed away Tuesday morning, September 6, 1938. He was brought to this country by his parents when he was three months old. The family settled in Avon township near Millburn, where he resided until his marriage, when he moved to a farm directly across the road in Warren township where he resided until his death.
On September 10, 1879, he was united in marriage with Elizabeth Stewart, who survives him. Five children were born, two of whom died in infancy. The surviving children are Miss Vivien at home, Leslie S. and Mrs. Gordon Bonner, all of Millburn. Five grandchildren: Geraldine, Lyman, Beryl, Howard and Lois Bonner survive, also two sisters, Mrs. Elizabeth Stewart of Gurnee and Mrs. Mina Gilbert of Waukegan.
Funeral services were held at Millburn church Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock, with Rev. Samuel Holden officiating with burial in Millburn cemetery.
from the pages of the Chicago Herald and Examiner 14 September 1938
Two Slain in Farm Mystery
Scott LeVoy, 65, Lake County farmer, and his son's wife, May, 26, were found mysteriously slain yesterday in the LeVoy farm home west of Waukegan. She was killed with a .22 rifle and he with a shotgun fired close to his chest.
First indications were that LeVoy killed the young woman and himself, said Chief Deputy Sheriff Thomas Kennedy, but two clues led him to decided to question James LeVoy, 31, May's husband, and ask Culver, Ind., authorities to question her former husband, Lee Sutton of Culver.
The clues were: May's body was warm and LeVoy's cold when James led deputy sheriffs to them, and the shotgun which killed Scott LeVoy had been replaced against the kitchen wall.
James said when he returned from hauling milk he found his father's body and called to his wife, May, 26. Her body was at the foot of the basement stairs.
Sheriff's officers found her neck was broken. They assumed she started upstairs at the sound of the shotgun and fell, but an autopsy revealed her top vertebrae had bee shattered by a .22 calibre bullet, fired from behind at close range. A .22 rifle, found behind the door between the kitchen and dining room, was sent to the Chicago police laboratory with the bullet.
loose clipping, source unknown 14 September 1938
Murder and Suicide Theory Doubted.
Puzzled neighbors shook their heads yesterday at the theory that Scott LeVoy shot his young daughter-in-law to death and then ended his own life Tuesday morning on his farm home west of Waukegan. And officials, impressed by the neighbors' doubt, began inquiring about romances Maye Le Voy had with men other than her husband, James Le Voy.
They learned that she had married three times before her elopement with young Le Voy. Two of these marriages were to the same man. And the authorities were told that she had quarreled with one of these men on Labor day, when she was visiting at her mother's home in Culver, Ind.
Starts Indiana Quiz.
Thomas E. Kennedy, chief deputy sherif of Lake county, sent Deputy Stanley Christian to Culver to question Mrs. Le Voy's mother. Thence the deputy was to go to Rochester, Ind., to question the ex-husband with whom she is reported to have quarreled. She was divorced from this man a second time five days before she eloped with Le Voy in 1935.
Her husband, who is 31 years old, told Coroner John L. Taylor that he believed his wife and father had been murdered by a third person. But the authorities were unable to reconcile this belief with the fact that the family police dog, 100 feet from the house, was not distrubed by the shooting. The dog, they said, is vicious.
Letter Is Studied.
A letter from a man who signed only the name "Carl" was regarded as important by George W. Field, assistant state's attorney. Unknown to Mrs. Le Voy's husband, it came to her at the farm in July, a short time after she had returned from one of her extended stays in Chicago.
In it the man thanked her for lending him money and said he was sorry he could not repay her.
Investigation of other letters and papers yielded little to help solve the mystery. Mrs. Le Voy, who was 26 years old, carried a $1,000 insurance policy payable to her husband. It was to pay double indemnity in case of accidental death. Scott Le Voy, who was 65, had a $2,000 policy, to be shared by James and another son in Oak Park. It was believed the sons would be heirs to the 80 acre farm.
Shot Early in Morning.
Kennedy revealed a puzzling feature. The elder LeVoy, a special deputy sherif, was known as a man who went to bed at 8 p.m. Yet he asked Kennedy a few days ago to get him a .38 caliber pistol, explaining that he was often out extremely late at night.
James Le Voy found his wife and father shot to death when he returned from milking at 5:55 a.m. Monday.
His father had been killed with a shotgun and his wife with a rifle. A shotgun was found in its usual place in a corner of the kitchen. A rifle was found behind a door in the living room. Both guns apparently had been carefully placed where they were. Authorities said it would have been difficult for the elder Le Voy, mortally wounded, to put them both away.
Waukegan News-Sun14 September 1938
Investigators Believe Elder Levoy Shot Self
After Killing Daughter-in-law.
Scott LeVoy, 65, shot his daughter-in-law to relieve his son of the domestic grief caused by her intermittent desertions and then killed himself, law enforcement officers said today.
LeVoy, who had been a county highway maintenance patrolman for more than a decade, was an expert rifle shot. Despondent over the death of a grandson several months ago, LeVoy apparently intended to end his life when his daughter-in-law said she was going to leave the 80-acre farm on route 45, a mile south of Millburn.
His daughter-in-law, May LeVoy, 26, wife of James, 31, had left her housekeeping duties at the LeVoy farm on three different occasions in the three years since the marriage in December, 1935. Mrs. LeVoy had been married three ties before her wedding to James LeVoy.
Plans to Leave Again
When Mrs. LeVoy informed her husband that she was going to leave again to work some other place, the elder LeVoy pleaded with her to stay at the farm so that the family could get on a sound financial basis, Coroner John L. Taylor was informed.
She had packed her clothes Monday and was preparing to leave. Yesterday morning, according to The story, while her husband was tending cows in a barn about 100 feet southwest of the farmhouse, she was in the basement of the house preparing sandwiches for the elder McVoy for his luncheon.
Reconstructing the tragedy, Chief Deputy Sheriff Thomas E. Kennedy and Assistant State's Attorney George W. Field today visited the farmhouse again.
"It would not be difficult for LeVoy to load the rifle and fire about 15 feet from the kitchen to the basement," Kennedy said, "and then place the rifle against the wall and walk to the kitchen and shoot himself with a shot gun and push it against the wall."
Both the .22 calibre pump rifle and the .12 guage shotgun found in the house are in the hands of ballistics experts for examination. Three shotgun shells were found in the pockets of the elder LeVoy.
Investigators are still puzzled by the fact that neither the watch dog, which was outside of the house about the time the shooting occurred, or James, who was milking the cows, heard any unusual noises. They gave little credence to the theory that an intruder entered the farmhouse and killed LeVoy and his daughter- in-law, using two different guns, and then escaping without attracting the attention of the dog.
While the law enforcement officers believe that the theory that LeVoy shot his daughter-in-law and then killed himself is the most plausible, they are continuing the investigation of theories of a possible double murder.

Funeral services for James Bonner were held from Millburn Congregational church Friday afternoon, Sept. 9, Rev. Samuel Holden officiating. Burial was made in Millburn cemetery.

Mr. and Mrs. Ed Gillings of Waukegan, were callers at the home of Mr. and Mrs. D. B. Webb Thursday afternoon.

Mrs. W. M Bonner and son Roy, drove to Champaign Sunday, taking Glenn Strang and Geraldine Bonner back for school. They also visited their cousins, the Dodge sisters, in Peoria.

Mrs. Marcus Hoffman and Eddie Druce visited the Brookfield zoo last Wednesday.

Mr. and Mrs. Harry Keefe and daughter Barbara of Waukegan, were callers at the J. Kaluf home Friday evening.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Kennedy of Waukegan, were supper guests at the E. O. Martin home on Friday.

Mrs. Mattie Edwards returned to her home in Forest Park on Sunday after spending several days with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. D. B. Webb.

J. G. Bonner and son Howard, and R. J. Bonner of Kansasville, Wis., drove to Lake Mills, Wis., on business Monday.

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Becker, Mr. and Mrs. Gus Hedstrom and son Jerry of Kenosha, called at the Lewis Bauman home Sunday afternoon.

Mr. and Mrs. William Thompson and daughter Helen and Mrs. Jennie Pickles of Hickory, called at the D. B. Webb home Sunday afternoon.

Frank Edwards spent Sunday at the John Dickey home in Forest Park.

Miss Ruby Gillings is visiting at the W. M. Bonner home.

George McCredie, who has been ill at the home of his sister, Mrs. W. H. Miller, for several months, died last week and the funeral was held Thursday. Mr. McCredie has many friends here who will miss him.

Waukegan News-Sun15 September 1938
Mrs. May LeVoy,
Believed to Have Been Killed by Father-in-law,
Had Tangled Marital Career.
Mrs. May LeVoy, who is believed to have been killed by her father-in-law because she was planning to leave the farm on route 45 a mile south of Millburn, kept her marriage to James LeVoy in 1935 a secret from her mother and former husband, it was revealed today just before funeral services were started for her and for Scott LeVoy at the Millburn Community church.
"Her mother, Mrs. F. V. Brown, living on a farm near Culver, Ind., had no knowledge that her daughter was married again," Deputy Sheriff Stanley Christian said today. "Her former husband, Leo Sutton, a farmhand near Rochester, Ind., did not know of it either."
Mrs. Brown and Sutton, who married May twice, told Christian that May had spoken of James LeVoy and his father as being "nice people to work for."
Met Former Husband
While Mrs. LeVoy was visiting her mother in Indiana during the Labor Day weekend, she was in the company of Sutton and another couple. At that time Sutton told her he still cared for her. He told Deputy Christian yesterday that he questioned the legality of May's divorce from him. He had divorced her the first time and after a remarriage she had divorced him.
The marriage, James LeVoy said, was in the form of an elopement and took place Dec. 13, 1935, at Winnetka. Mrs. LeVoy, who had been housekeeper at the LeVoy farm before the marriage, resumed her position after she became James' wife.
On three different occasions since the marriage May left the LeVoy farm for extended periods. The last time she left in June 1937, and returned the following September. During that interval, it was learned, Mrs. LeVoy spent about three weeks with her mother visiting in Tennessee.
Liked "Good Time"
"She was always gay and ready to have a good time," Deputy Christian quoted Mrs. Brown as saying. Mrs. Brown as well as Sutton first heard of Mrs. LeVoy's death from the deputy sheriff.
On Tuesday morning, when Mrs. Levoy was killed with a rifle shot and her father-in-law was found dead from a shotgun wound believed to have been self-inflicted, Sutton said he was performing his chores on a farm near Rochester.
By persistent investigation in and near Rochester, Deputy Christian said he was satisfied that Sutton was on the farm near Rochester during the past weekend.
Although law enforcement officers, Coroner John L. Taylor, Chief Deputy Sheriff Thomas E. Kennedy and Assistant State's Attorney George W. Field, were in agreement on the theory that Scott LeVoy, the 65-year-old county highway maintenance patrolman, shot his daughter-in-law and then killed himself, they were continuing the investigation into other probabilities.
The rifle and shotgun found in the house are now undergoing ballistics tests which the law officers believe may throw some light on the mystery.
Planned to Leave
Mrs. LeVoy had announced to husband and father-in-law that she was leaving the farm again. The elder LeVoy was reported to have pleaded with her to remain as housekeeper so that they could get their 80-acre farm on a sound financial basis. James LeVoy, who had been taking care of the farm since he graduated from high school in 1924, was said to have owned 18 acres of the farm.
Shortly before 6 a.m. Tuesday, James, who said he had been milking the cows in the barn about 100 feet southwest of the farm house, came into the house with a pitcher of milk and a pail of water to find his father sprawled on the kitchen floor in a pool of blood.
He called for his wife, who had left him about 20 minutes earlier to prepare some sandwiches for her father-in-law's lunch. She did not answer. James looked down in the basement where a light was on and saw his wife dead.
James said that he did not hear any shots fired while he was in the barn and a swatch dog on the farm was not disturbed during the period from about 5:30 a.m. to 6 a.m.
Investigation showed that Scott LeVoy had a $2,000 insurance policy and Mrs. LeVoy carried a $1,000 policy with a double indemnity clause for accidental death payable to her husband.
[month index] [previous] [next]