HOME » online historical archives » news clipping month index » January, 1929 »

[month index] [previous] [next]

Newspaper Clippings for
January, 1929

Antioch News3 January 1929
Mr. and Mrs. J. S. Denman and children spent Friday with Mr. and Mrs. Kamper of River Forest.

Mr. and Mrs. E. A. Martin and Richard spent Friday in Milwaukee.

Clarence Mayer, Chicago, is spending his Christmas vacation at Carl Anderson's.

Miss Vene Denman, Gurnee, is visiting her grandmother, Mrs. C. E. Denman.

Mrs. Warren Hook is slowly improving after several weeks illness with pneumonia. A trained nurse is in attendance.

Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Bonner and Jean, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Bonner and sons, Mr. and Mrs. Gordon Bonner and children, and Mrs. A. K. Bain were entertained at W. M. Bonner's Sunday.

Mrs. L. S. Bonner, and son, Lyman, have been flu victims the past week.

Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Johannsen and children spent several days in Kankakee with Mrs. Johannsen's brother.

Mr. and Ms. J. H. Bonner and Miss Vivien Bonner, Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Bonner, Mrs. Jessie Low with Mrs. Mina Gilbert and daughter, Margaret, and Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Anderson, Waukegan, were entertained at dinner at the Simeon Ames home on December 26, in honor of Mrs. Lizzie Stewart's 77th birthday.

The Christian Endeavor business meeting will be held at the home of Kenneth and Grace Denman Thursday evening.

The annual meeting of the church and First Religious society will be held in the church parlor Monday afternoon, January 7.

Antioch News10 January 1929
Antioch, Lake Villa, and Grant Voters
Approve Of Plan At Polls.
Organization of a three town community high school project, and the election of trustees for the district will be taken up soon with T. A. Simpson, county superintendent of schools. Mr. Simpson will set the date for the election of trustees since by a vote of more than two to one Saturday the three town school project carried in Grant, Lake Villa and Antioch towns.
Two hundred and thirty-three voters cast ballots at the polls in Ingleside-the only polls established. There were 168 votes in favor of the project and 65 opposed. This was the second time the community high school had been approved, but the first election was void since a small part of McHenry county was included.

A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Carl Bruckner Sunday, December 30.

Mr. and Mrs. Lyman Thain entertained Mrs. Thain's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Swan Christensen and family for dinner New Year's day.

Clarence Mayer returned Saturday to his home in Chicago, after 10 days vacation at Carl Anderson's.

A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. McAllister Irving in Victory Memorial hospital, Thursday, January 3.

The annual meeting of the Millburn Mutual Insurance company will be held in Millburn Saturday, January 12. The women of the church will serve the annual chicken pie dinner at this time.

Mrs. W. M. Bonner is ill.

Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Bauman drove to Dekalb Tuesday when Miss Alice Bauman returned to school.

Miss Doris Jamison returned Sunday to Milwaukee Downer college after two weeks vacation.

Former Resident of this Community
Glad to be Back in Mission Field
"Home again! home again! home in Bailundo after my long wanderings," writes Miss Una J. Minto of Bailundo, West Africa, sister of Harold Minto of Maple Farm, Antioch, and former Director of Religious Education in the Evanston Congregation church, of which she is a member.
Miss Minto is also supported in her work under the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, which represents the Congregational churches of America, by the Congregational Churches in Port Huron, Richmond, Romeo, and St. Clair, Michigan.
"The hearty welcome of the natives and of my fellow-missionaries has been most cheering and heart-warming. Tomorrow I shall be again in the schoolroom, deep in the work I love best of all, teaching these boys and girls who are so eager to learn.
"When I left my Illinois home on the seventh of June I did not anticipate that it would be quite so many weeks before I should reach the end of my trip. We did not travel in airplane nor ride on a camel but it seems as though I had every other kind of transportation on land and water. At Loanda, after futile effort to find a boat going on to Lobito we decided to load up as many of our goods and chattels as we could manage on a motor truck and go over land to Beilundo. All of our trunks were packed into a Chevrolet motor lorry; suit cases and small boxes filled in all the chinks under the canvas roof, with only a tiny square of space left, just behind the front seat, where Dr. Henry Stanley Hollenbeck of Sheldon, Iowa, another missionary, and I shared the front seat with the driver. During the long night, we drove on through the darkness, finding not too unwelcome the occasional necessary stops to put in oil and water or to blow out the rust which had the bad habit of stopping up the carburator. I bundled up my coat against the side of the car and caught a few, snatches of sleep. It was scarcely what one could call a restful night, yet we were all in good spirits, for we were now on the last lap of our journey to Bailundo. Not even when we had a blowout, sometime in the wee small hours, and stood sleepily about in the sticky mud of the roadside, with no place to sit down, for the seat had to be upturned for every sort of difficult arising-not even then did we fail to find something cheerful in our situation.
"We had numerous delays because of the poor roads and the steep hills, slippery and gutted by the heavy rains, we several times overtook other cars stalled in the mud, and both gave and received help on the difficult slopes. When we came to the Lukalla river we were ferried across on the raft, which rested on five dug-out canoes lashed together and drawn across by cable. All the memorable experiences of that day cannot be told here. Twice flat tires had to be renewed. Once the task was particularly disagreeable because we were in the midst of the heaviest shower of the afternoon, and while the car men worked under the back wheel in the deep mud, we amused ourselves by diverting the streams of water which slipped in through the seams of the canvas roof, attempting, rather unsuccessfully, to carry them over the side of the car by means of a rubber raincoat, which inconveniently doubled back now and then, quite impartially drenching the two gentlemen on that side and the cushions of the seat.
"Darkness came on, with the clear beautiful starlight of the southern sky, just as we began the ascent of a pass in a mountain ridge. About 8:30 in the evening we reached Calulu where we expected to spend the night. We were all very tired and hungry, and our driver had been on duty since the previous morning. To our dismay, we were told though we could get dinner at the little hotel, they had no vacant beds, and we must go on 50 miles farther to the next town. So after dinner we started again. We had not gone many kilometers when we came to a bridge being rebuilt, with another car stuck in the mud of the detour, so that we could not pass. Then we were told of a nearby German settlement where we might ask for shelter. Among the five families there was a Prince and a Baron, they said, and this we found to be true. In spite of being awakened from their slumbers shortly before midnight, they received us most graciously, served us tea, and best of all provided us with comfortable rooms for the night and a good breakfast next morning.
"The roads were splendid on the last day of our travel," concludes Miss Minto, "the country green and beautiful. We spun along without a single mishap, stopping only long enough to purchase tinned foods for our noonday luncheon at a small town. It was about five when we finally reached Bailundo, tired and happy after our 400 mile run."
Antioch News17 January 1929
Miss Viola Altshaus, North Chicago, is spending some time in the Dr. Jamison home.

A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Sam Larson, January 10.

At the annual meeting of the Millburn Mutual insurance company, L. S. Bonner was elected president, J. S. Denman, secretary, Carl Hughes, treasurer and Frank Kennedy, John Wirty and Charles Wright as directors.

Mrs. Peterson, Sr., Lake Villa, is caring for her daughter, Mrs. Carl Bruckner.

There were no services at the church Sunday on account of the severe cold.

Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Denman, Mrs. W. A. Bonner and Mr. and Mrs. J. S. Denman attended the funeral of Elmer Webster, brother-in-law of C. E. Denman, in Highland Park Monday afternoon

Herbert A. Lewis died December 25, at Jackson Park hospital after a prolonged illness.
Mr. Lewis was born near Waukegan and spent his boyhood there.
He settled in South Chicago in 1894. Here he was engaged in a general and funeral livery business, being a member of the firm, Spearing and Lewis, afterwards becoming sole owner of this concern. He retired 10 years, ago, but later was employed as bookkeeper in a plumbing shop in Winsor Park.
He leaves his widow, Katherine Miller Lewis, who was at one time, head nurse in the Jane McAlister hospital, now known as the Victory Memorial hospital; two daughters, Mrs. Dorothy Purdy and Mrs. Marion Turton, and two grand-children, Robert and James Turton; also three sisters, Mrs. Albert Wakefield, Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, Mrs. William Rinear, Antioch and Mrs. William Price, Los Angeles, and one brother, George Lewis, Antioch.
He was a brother of the late Mrs. Jane Voak and of the late Mrs. Carrie Collins.
[month index] [previous] [next]