HOME » online historical archives » news clipping month index » September, 1885 »

[month index] [previous] [next]

Newspaper Clippings for
September, 1885

from Gazette12 September 1885
Mrs. Hawland, a visitor at Mrs. Leola Hughes, returned to her home in Evanston last week.

Dr. Karr, of Antioch, took a partner in business, last Thursday from Frank Pitman's. Mrs. Anna Pitman Karr is the name of the new associate.

Mrs. Mavor and children closed their Summer visit here last Friday and returned to the city home.

Miss Bertha Pollock has gone to attend the Ladies Seminary at Lake Forest. We anticipate for her a very successful career as a student.

Frank Pitman has sold his farm to Mr. Dalziel of Gurnee. Mr. Pitman moves to Nebraska, near Crete, where his son-in-law is located.

Owing to the rain and mud, the "bee" to clean the church and assist the ladies in putting down the new carpet did not occur Tuesday as designed.

The sad news to record this week is the death of Mrs. Elizabeth VanPatten. She died at her daughter's, Mrs. Oliver's where she went to care for the little grandchild that was buried last week. Before the child died, Mrs. VanPatten was taken down with a very sever form of typhoid fever. She was sick about ten days and died on Monday morning. The funeral was held at the Hickory church, Tuesday. Notwithstanding a very rainy and unpleasant day, there was a large attendance. She will not only be missed in her home but in many homes in the neighborhood where she has often gone to care for the sick, during her many years residence here.

Miss Ermie Hughes is the happy possessor of a new piano, for her own proficiency in music and the entertainment of near neighbors.

from the Grand Traverse Herald 13 September 1885
Death of Dr. John L. White.
Very many Herald readers, who knew Dr. J. L. White, of Williamsburg, will be greatly pained to learn of his sudden death, which occurred on Sunday morning last. The Dr. was in town on Saturday, coming here to meet his mother, brother and sister, who arrived on the afternoon train. He seemed very well indeed, but a short time after his arrival home complained of his head, and in a few minutes dropped over in a stupor, in which condition he remained until his death, Sunday forenoon. All efforts to arouse him were unavailing. A post-mortem examination made by Dr. Kneeland of this place and Dr. Conklin of Elk Rapids, reveals the fact that death was caused by cerebral apoplexy.
Dr. White was 37 years old. He had been a resident of this county several years, and had quite an extensive practice. For some time past he has been a little worried about his health, and had about concluded arrangements to remove to this place, retiring, partially from practice and to provide better school facilities for his children.
The Dr. will be greatly missed at his home in Williamsburg. He was always active in good works, an enthusiastic helper in Sunday schools, and always ready to aid in every effort made to help his town and community. He has made many friends all through northern Michigan who will deeply regret his early death, and who will join in expressions of sympathy with the family of the deceased.
Dr. White was born in Milburn, Ill., Dec 24, 1848. He graduated from the literary department of the Michigan university in 1873 and from the medical department in 1878; was married April 5, 1876, to Miss Estella De Puy, of Ann Arbor, and came at once to Williamsburg, driving through with his own team. His wife and four children survive him. His mother and brother, Andrew White, and sister Mrs. Dodge, of Milburn, Ill., arrived on Saturday, the day before his death. Mrs. White's mother, Mrs. De Puy, of Ann Arbor, arrived in time for the funeral services, and her brother, Dr. R. G. De Puy of Jamestown, Dakota, expected to reach here, but was delayed on the road until too late. Mrs. Maggie Worden of Williamsburg is a sister of the deceased.
The funeral services were conducted by the Rev. Mr. Heath, on Wednesday, and the remains were taken to Ann Arbor for burial.
from Gazette19 September 1885
Last Sabbath evening, Mr. Will White received a telegram announcing the death of his brother, Dr. John White, of Williamsburg, Mich. Particulars are not yet known. It is supposed he died of heart disease, having been troubled with that a few years ago. This is especially sad as well as sudden. Mr. White's mother, his brother Andrew, and his sister, Mrs. George Dodge, had just gone there on a visit. They arrived on Saturday, and Mr. White died on Sunday morning. Funeral was to be held at his home Tuesday. He leaves a wife and four children.

Our old time merchant, Mr. Smith is about to build an addition to his house. The part now used as a kitchen will be moved back, and an upright put in the place. This will be a fine improvement to Mr. Smith's residence and to the village. Mr. Hughes is the contractor.

All members of the Millburn Library Association, and others interested in the enterprise, should be at the church Saturday evening, to discuss the matter of a lecture course this Winter, and also to consider other business.

About the usual number of Millburnites attended the State Fair this year.

Robert Strang and wife spend the week in Chicago.

Mrs. C. A. Matthews and Jennie Matthews also spend a few days in Chicago. Dig Cragg has moved to Mr. Huntley's farm, which he rented for a year.

Ed. Dodge has been about with his arm very tenderly cared for, for some time. He is nursing a carbuncle.

from Gazette26 September 1885
Mrs. Leola Hughes has gone to her sister's in Missouri, for a visit.

Andrew White returned from Michigan this week.

Miss Mabel Smith and George Mason returned to their schools in the East this week. George and Willie enter Yale College this Fall. They have advanced in their studies so that they enter the second year of the course, requiring but three years to complete their studies in college days. Miss Mabel takes one year more at Brooklyn. The records of death are quite frequent these days. Last Sabbath the funeral service of Mrs. Van Olstine were held at the Stearn's school house. She had been sick for some months, suffering a great deal. She leaves a son unmarried.

Rev. C. S. Harrison, of Franklin, Neb. will preach morning and evening in the Millburn church.

Additional correspondent.

Mrs. Leola Hughes started last Wednesday for a visit to her sister in Missouri who is in poor health.

Our boss carpenters, Hughes & Son, have completed J. L. Thain's house and can be heard pounding away at Mrs. S. Smiths.

Mrs. White, Mrs. G. C. Dodge and Mrs. A. T. White returned from Michigan the first of the week.

Threshing is a thing of the past and the farmers are busy cutting corn.

Mr. W. E. Thayer has the lumber on the ground for a new barn which will be a great improvement to his place.

Mr. G. E. Smith, returned from the West Wednesday, and gives a very glowing account of the country he has seen.

Miss Clara Stedman wields the birch in the east school this fall.

Miss Betsy Rose has the ribbons of the west school in her hands while Miss Maggie Lawrence, one of Lake County's most successful amateur teachers holds forth at Sand Lake.

Mrs. VanOlstine passed away on Friday last at her home here at the ripe age of 60.

The ladies of Millburn and vicinity gave the church a thorough cleaning this week, preparatory to putting down the new carpets.

Those, who enjoy listening to good preaching should not fail to attend the Conference, which will begin, on the evening of the 6th and close on the evening of the 7th of October, at the church here.

Will not some one start the wheel rolling and try and get the sidewalk relayed from the village to the parsonage?

Mrs. F. G. Whight, of Louisville, Ky. spent part of the week with friends and relatives here.

[month index] [previous] [next]